Options for Modifying Your Child Visitation Schedule

If you have children, then you already know how unpredictable each new day can be. From doctor’s appointments to afternoon soccer practice, you and your child’s schedules are likely to change from time to time.

This usually isn’t a problem; but what if these schedule changes require a modification to the parenting time schedule you have with your child’s other parent? Depending upon your relationship with the other parent, you may have options for modifying your schedule. Learn everything you need to know about your options below.

Schedule Modifications: The Art of Compromise

Do you and your child’s other parent continue to compromise despite your separation? If so, then modifying your visitation schedule will be much easier. You’ll need to communicate with the other parent and come to an agreement about new arrangements. Once you both agree, then you can file for a modification with the court by way of a consent order if you feel it is necessary. With both parties agreeing to the terms, the judge will simply sign off on the new parenting plan.


What should you do if you and the other parent can’t come to an agreement, but you don’t want to go to court, either? In these situations, it may be best to hire a third-party mediator to oversee both arguments. Mediation allows for open dialogue between both parties, and the third-party mediator will be unbiased when listening to both sides.  And sometimes you can utilize the services of a court custody mediator.  In many circumstances, an agreement can be reached between two parents through the mediation process. If you choose this route, then you could save time and money by avoiding court. The success of this type of conflict resolution will hinge on the ability of you and the other parent to come to an agreement. If you don’t think that you’ll be able to do that, then you’ll need to consider other options.

Requesting a Hearing

Sometimes cooperating with the other parent simply isn’t possible. If this describes your situation, then you may need to speak with an attorney about pursuing other options. You may need to file a motion or application for parenting time modification and prove that your position is not unreasonable. A judge will rule on your motion or application by deciding whether the previous custody order should be modified. The standard that the court uses is whether there has been a substantial change of circumstances since the last parenting time order was signed.  The overarching principle is whether or not the new parenting time plan will be in the best interests of the child or children.

Contact a Voorhees Law Attorney for a Consultation About Visitation Schedules in New Jersey Today

If you are thinking about filing for divorce, or if you have already started the divorce process and are dealing with another matter such as child custody, child support, or division of assets, you need to speak with a qualified attorney. The New Jersey family law attorneys at The Law Offices of Daniel K. Newman represent clients throughout the state, including Voorhees, Camden, Burlington and Gloucester. We understand how challenging this time can be for you, which is why we will fight hard to protect your interests, and the interests of your loved ones, throughout the legal process. Call us at (856) 309-9007 or fill out our confidential contact form to schedule a consultation. We have an office conveniently located at 1202 Laurel Oak Rd #207 Voorhees Township, New Jersey 08043.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.