Divorcing an Incarcerated Spouse

Divorce Attorney in
Camden County, New Jersey

Your Right to Seek a Divorce from an Incarcerated Spouse

In New Jersey, if your spouse has been in jail or prison for at least 18 months, you can seek a divorce based on a claim of imprisonment. The process can get complicated, though, so you want an experienced and knowledgeable divorce lawyer to protect your rights. I can help.

At the Law Offices of Daniel K. Newman, in Voorhees, New Jersey, I bring more than 30 years of experience to men and women facing divorce or family law challenges. I dedicate a substantial part of my practice to divorce and family law matters, and can handle the most complex issues you face. When appropriate, I work closely with psychologists, financial professionals and other experts, so that I can put arrangements in place that are in the best interests of you and your family.

To arrange a free initial consultation, contact us online or call our office toll-free at (856) 309-9007.

Getting a Divorce When Your Spouse is Locked Up

Under New Jersey law, you are required to provide legal notice of the divorce proceedings by serving a copy of the divorce complaint on your spouse. Prison officials must be notified of the pending divorce. Depending on the circumstances, an incarcerated person may be allowed to appear in divorce court, under supervision.

When you hire me to help you seek a divorce against an imprisoned or incarcerated spouse, I will handle all matters related to your case, gathering and preserving relevant evidence, preparing and filing all documents, and acting as your advocate in all proceedings. I will help you resolve all issues related to your divorce, including custody and visitation, alimony or spousal support, and the division or marital debts and assets.


Don’t go through divorce alone! At the office of attorney Daniel K. Newman, I offer a free initial consultation to every prospective client. To set up an appointment, contact my office online or call (856) 309-9007 today. Take the first step toward regaining control of your life.

I am conveniently located in the Greens of Laurel Oaks office park.