Child Support After You Lose Your Job

New Jersey Child Support Modification Lawyer

Protecting Your Rights after Job Loss or Layoff

wrongful-termination-300x191As a non-custodial parent, you still place a priority on the needs of your child. Accordingly, you understand the importance of meeting your child support obligation. But what if your employer faces economic hard times and you take the hit with a layoff or even the permanent loss of your job. Can you petition the court to reduce your child support obligation? How can you pay all your bills, as well as your child support, when you’re not working? You need an experienced and aggressive attorney to protect your interests. I can help.

I am attorney Daniel K. Newman. I more than 30 years of legal experience. For many years, I have successfully represented men and women in Camden County, Cherry Hill, Voorhees and throughout the greater Philadelphia area. Because of my experience handling family law matters, I have a comprehensive understanding of the law and process, and can help you take the right steps to protect your interests. For a free initial consultation to discuss your options,contact me online or call my office at (856) 309-9007.

Child Support and the Loss of Your Job—Protecting Your Legal Rights

It is possible to modify your child support obligation because you lost your job, but it’s not an easy process. Courts are reluctant to issue an order reducing a support obligation without evidence that you have used all means available to find replacement employment. You may have to provide the court with detailed documentation of your job search, including copies of applications and rejection letters, as well as e-mails and phone logs. The courts will also be hesitant to reduce a support obligation if you have only been unemployed for a short period of time.

As your attorney, I will carefully gather, evaluate and preserve all evidence to support your notice of motion for modification of a support order. I will prepare and file all necessary documents, and will be your advocate in all hearings or proceedings.


If you have a child support obligation and are worried about how you will pay your child support and meet your other expenses, contact my office online or call me at (856) 309-9007. There is no charge for your first consultation.

My law office is conveniently located in the Greens of Laurel Oak office park.